July has been designated hot dog month by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. And today, July 23, is national vanilla ice cream day. On July 21, it was national junk food day, as if American's don't eat enough junk food already, so we need a reminder to go out and eat more highly processed, fatty, foods. Sigh.
Here are some fun facts about hot dogs by the numbers:
- 20 billion. The amount Americans consume annually.
- 70. The average amount of hot dogs one American eats annually.
- 10. Hot dogs are usually sold in packs of 10. It wasn't until 1940 that hot dogs began being packaged that way. Before 1940, butcher shops sold them in varying quantities.
- 101. That's the amount in billions of dollars that New York City residents spend on hot dogs in retail outlets, more than in any other city in America.
Here are some fun facts about vanilla ice cream by the numbers:
- 150. There are 150 varieties of Vanilla but only two -- Bourbon and Tahitian -- are used commercially.
- 1904. This was the year the ice cream cone was invented at the St. Louis World Fair.
- 1. There is only one edible plant of the orchid family...and it's the vanilla bean!
- 48. The average American consumes 48 pints of ice cream annually.
To offer up some alternatives to both of these rather unhealthy foods, I thought I'd write about some healthier options. If you'd like to celebrate and participate in National Hot Dog month, why not try making your own Seitan hot dog? One Green Planet offers a great recipe for the dogs and a handful of other yummy homemade vegetarian hot dog toppings and vegetarian sausages.
And if you'd like to celebrate National Vanilla Ice Cream Day without feeling too guilty, you can't go wrong with SO Delicious dairy-free, creamy vanilla ice cream. You can find SO Delicious brands in Whole Foods, most grocery stores, and now even many pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS carry the brand. Lots of options! Go out and enjoy!