One of my absolute favorite foods is the hearty potato leek soup. The quick and easy prep and cooking times make it even more enjoyable to make at home. Not to mention it's relatively inexpensive.
There are many different ways to make potato leek soup but I'm going to share my version that is the result of a combination of recipes I've tried.
Ready in 1 hour.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or Earth Balance non-dairy buttery spread, which I prefer)
- 2 -3 Leeks, washed & sliced into small pieces
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-5 medium peeled & cubed potatoes (Yukon Gold or Russet are best)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 14 oz. container of coconut milk (reduced fat if you're watching calories)
- 1 tablespoon diced chives
1. In a large skillet heat the butter and saute the leeks until they are tender and golden brown. Approximately 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a large pot bring vegetable broth and cornstarch to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until they are tender (approximately 30 minutes).
3. Combine the sauteed leeks in with the potatoes. Add coconut milk. Heat on low for a few minutes so that all ingredients simmer together.
4. Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture together. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives.